A healthy diet provides the body with essential nutrition fluid, adequate essential amino acids from protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and adequate calories. The requirements for a healthy diet can be met from a variety of plant-based and animal-based foods. A healthy diet supports energy needs and provides for human nutrition without exposure to toxicity or excessive weight gain from consuming excessive amounts. Where lack of calories is not an issue, a properly balanced diet is also thought to be important for lowering health risks, such as obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and cancer.
Take Regular Breakfast on Time – Start your day with milk and cornflakes, or milk and poha, upma. If you are from northern India, and are into eating paratha, you can still have them but make them healthy. Instead of just aloo paratha have potato mixed with other vegetables and use less of oil or ghee or butter. Similarly, if you are from southern India, you can have idlis, dosa, and uttappam but avoid medu wada since that is fried. You can even opt for egg omelette or sandwiches.
Take Lunch in noon- Make lunch a mix of lean protein and starchy carbs. Carb-rich foods supply energy and without them you’re more likely to suffer that classic mid-afternoon slump. The key is to choose carbs that produce a steady rise in blood sugar, which means passing on the sugary ‘white’ foods and going for high fibre whole-grains which help you manage those afternoon munchies. This can consist of a proper meal like rotis/ bhakri with vegetables, salads and a source of protein from dal, curd, sprouts non-veg dishes like eggs, fish, chicken plus a small helping of rice. Avoid pickles and papads.
Take light Snacks in Evening- Satisfy that sweet craving and the need for energy with fruit. A handful of dried fruit combined with unsalted nuts or seeds, provides protein and healthy fats to keep you satisfied till supper.
Swap your chocolate or cereal bar for a handful of dried apple rings with a few almonds or walnuts. Dried fruit is four times as sweet as its fresh equivalent – which is great if you’ve got an exercise class or a gym session planned for the afternoon
This can be mixed dry fruits, seasonal fruits or any fruit you like or a handful of roasted channa or kurmura.
Take Dinner 2 hours before bedtime- Don’t curfew carbs – they’re low in fat, fibre-rich and help you relax in the evening. Combine them with some healthy essential fats the ones you find in oily fish like salmon, mackerel and sardines as well as nuts, seeds and their oils. Your body can use these healthy fats overnight for regeneration and repair, which is important for maintaining healthy skin and hair.
Preferably opt for an early dinner and it can be just like lunch or it can be a single wholesome meal like khichdi, pulav, and biryani.
Some Other important Things to keep in mind:
- Have small frequent meals.
- Do not keep long gaps between your meals as it reduces the metabolic rate.
- Do not skip breakfast, have a healthy wholesome breakfast. Here are somehealthy breakfast options.
- Do some kind of physical activity at least for 30 minutes, 4-6 times a week.
- Eat 2 fruits and 3 servings of veggies to get good amount of fibre which will help you lose weight. You may want to include these 10 red coloured foods in your diet.
- Stay hydrated by drinking good amount of water.
- Avoid junk foods, sweets, too many biscuits, fried and bakery products.
- Avoid fried foods, jams.
Replace Fruit Juice with Raw Juice-
Diet for weight loss involves a healthy lifestyle change –
- You do not need to follow a particular diet to lose weight but you need to eat healthy. It should be based on your likes, dislikes, culture, schedule, and a pattern that you are willing to accept and follow in your daily life.
- Apart from diet, one needs to engage themselves in some kind of physical exercise like walking, cycling, swimming, dancing, jogging, etc. This is essential to burn fat and keep the metabolic rate in control.
Follow these simple tips to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle to keep fit for the rest of your life. Here is another diet plan to lose weight and stay healthy.